Animal Medical and Surgical Center is committed to the diagnosis and treatment of your pet’s endocrinology issues. Endocrine problems are serious, potentially life-threatening conditions and a proper diagnosis of the underlying cause of the condition is important to provide the proper care.
The endocrine system is comprised of a group of glandular tissues responsible for releasing hormones into the bloodstream. These hormones are vital to your pet’s health and are responsible for regulating metabolism, growth, development, and reproduction.
Endocrine Disorders in Pets
Endocrine disorders are the result of a disruption in your pet’s normal hormone levels. There are several possible causes such as a tumor or an autoimmune disease. Our in-house laboratory and send out laboratories have the capability of performing diagnostic testing to determine the underlying cause of your pet’s endocrine disorder such as:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Diabetes insipidus
- Addison’s disease—Hypoadrenocorticism (not enough steroid hormone)
- Cushing’s disease—Hyperadrenocorticism (too much steroid hormone)
Signs of a Hormone Imbalance
- Early detection of a hormone imbalance ensures your pet will receive the best possible veterinary care. Common signs of a hormone imbalance in your pet include changes in the following:
- Hair and coat changes
- Behavior changes
- Energy level changes
- Appetite increase or decrease
- Weight changes
- Water consumption increase or decrease
- Urination changes
- Excessive Panting
Please contact us to schedule an appointment if you notice any signs of an endocrine disorder in your pet. Our veterinary team is available to answer your questions or concerns regarding your pet’s health. Animal Medical and Surgical Center is located in Scottsdale, AZ, and serves the surrounding areas.